Quiz 2

 More food to test the diversity of your experiences... (and mine).

Rodi in Greek - where I came to regard these delights as a dietary regular in season

Quiz 1 - flat bean-like things

Quiz 2 & 3 - right next to but smaller than the ginger below

Ginger - probably my all time favorite flavour (it would go well with fried plantain)

Possibly the worlds most ubiquitous spice.


Quiz 4 - size of a LARGE fig, tastes a bit like Xmas

Quiz 5

Jack fruit.  
A whole Jackfruit is about the size of two footballs in a bag - these are extracted from a sort of spiny core that clutches all the seeds and their pulpy fruitiness. It doesn't grow in a plastic box.

Quiz 6 - plantains and ???? (I think they are bread fruit, durians are sort of segmented)

Quiz 7

Quiz 9 - leaves about the size of your hand

These are a kind of lychee apparently

Quiz 10

Mmmmm... dates

I have always known these as Asian eggplants and have a great Korean recipe for a salad based on these

Quiz 11

Quiz 12 - look like figs but are the size of your head

Quiz 13 - about 2 feet long

Chicoo and Mangosteen
I just love the flower end pattern of mangosteen.  They are my 'exciting new' food experience - really tasty, and I am going back for more of those. The chicoo, as I mentioned in an earlier post, taste vaguely of cinnamon but I am ambivalent about eating them again - not offensive but not really exciting.

Chicoo and Quiz 10 fruit are actually from the Americas.

Comments

  1. So many interesting things there which never appear here. Travel can broaden one's taste horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ye gods! It's vegetable and fruit heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh those pomegrantes.... drooll....

    #1 - I know these as cluster beans - Guar Gum is made from these. Prepare them like spinach or just as salad.
    #2 - Galangal #3 - turmeric
    #4 - Chicoo
    #5 - Mangosteen
    #6 - that's the Jackfruit in full form!
    #7 - Hyacinth beans (sometimes called 'broad beans' in India - but not like ours at all!)
    #9 (#8 went missing?) - those are pan leaves aka Betel
    Yeah the brown round things are called Longan and similar to Lychee indeed
    #10 - one of my absolute faves; Sitaphal (aka custard apple - delish!)
    #11 - taro/colocasia
    #12 - one I don't know, but am guessing a gourd variety of some sort!
    #13 - another absolute fave - Drumsticks! (Moringa)

    Well, that was fun and makes me hanker to taste some of these again... sigh... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only recognise the pomegranates and the chillies - and I probably got those wrong, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pomograntes, field peas, butter beans on 7 daddy grew those, the rest are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many varied and wonderful foods.
    I think I know a few but some of them I have never ever seen
    I’ve got a dwarf pomegranate tree. Hopefully one day soon it will bear fruit

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many exotic fruits I've never seen but would like to try. The pomegranates are ripening fast but our neighbours say that the ones they've tried so far are tasteless. It's been a strange summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment